Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Big Enchilada

I love pot luck dinners! We had the National Spotted Saddle Horse Association banquet and I knew there would be a lot of fried chicken and spaghetti. I like to bring something different "to the table", I'm the "different" one. I decided on chicken enchiladas with salsa verde. This is the finished dish (I thought it would look better at the top of the page!). Making enchiladas from semi-scratch isn't hard. The store-bought convenience food was the salsa verde and green enchilada sauce.   

My secret? Cream cheese! Not a lot but just enough to keep the chicken from getting dry, maybe 2 ounces per 4 shredded chicken breasts. Sometimes I add the green salsa, sometimes sour cream, to the cooked, shredded chicken. I warmed the corn tortillas a few at a time, in a damp paper towel in the microwave about 15 seconds. Spread a little salsa verde in the bottom of your baking dish before putting in your rolled enchiladas.  

This makes 10 or 12 enchiladas. Cover them with more salsa verde (or green enchilada sauce or a combination). Pile on the cheese, then sour cream on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until melted and bubbly. YUM! I know it doesn't look very healthy but I use fat-free sour cream and I cook the chicken with some cumin and chili powder, not a lot of salt. The fine shredded cheese looks like a lot but sprinkles over the top where it looks like a lot but it really isn't. For those of you watching calories. I say any meal or dish in moderation (not eaten every single day) is ok. This is really good with a green salad and fat-free vegetarian refried beans. Brown rice is good too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment