Friday, June 29, 2012

Pinterest Is Making Us Fat!

Close-up of the finished crescent cinnamon rolls. I had to put this one first! It looked the yummiest!

Ok, I confess, you CAN get healthy recipes from Pinterest but what's the fun in that? I like to try new things, change it up a bit. My husband would be satisfied with the same 4 or 5 things every week for dinner I think (the man orders the EXACT same thing in every Mexican restaurant we go to without ever looking at a menu). I love all sorts of food. I love cooking all sorts of food. That's probably why I have several boards dedicated to recipes with a huge variety of recipes. I do eat healthy for the most part but sometimes I hear the siren call of something sweet. I also love to make breakfast.

Canned cinnamon rolls cooked in a waffle iron (they don't look too bad)
They were hard like hockey pucks but if I make them again maybe I'll take them out of the waffle iron sooner. 
I've tried some real bombs too. The mac-n-cheese in the crock pot  (lumpy, dry), making waffles out of canned cinnamon rolls (like hockey pucks), man-pleasing chicken (way too much mustard didn't please anyone!) just to name a few.
So lately I have found some I really liked (and tweaked the recipe just a touch). The crescent cinnamon rolls from howto-simplify.com were easy enough but had too much cinnamon. I made mine bigger. Also, when you slice them it helps immensely to chill the rolled dough then slice with a serrated knife. They kind-of mush together and lose their shape if you don't.

On the left, the dough un-rolled, spread with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. On the right, rolled and sliced.

This plate didn't last long!



Another recipe I tried was the Pineapple Cake from www.cookinupnorth.blogspot.com.  I was curious about a recipe with just 2 ingredients and I figured "nothin' to lose!" so I bought an angel food cake mix. I thought I had the can of crushed pineapple the recipe called for but it was pineapple chunks. I just dumped the pineapple (with the juice)  in a bowl and crushed it with my electric hand mixer. Then I mixed the cake mix and pineapple and poured it into a sprayed 9x13 pan. Easy! It was a really tasty dessert (especially warm). No photo here. Forgot to take one.
I made another dessert called chocolate chip cookie delight from www.tasteofhome.com. Didn't get a photo of that one either, sorry. It was good but the cooke dough is spread on the bottom of a 9x13 pan and baked to make the dessert crust. I thought it ended up being thick and hard to cut. It tasted really good though!
I'll just keep plugging my way through my recipe boards, trying new things. Variety is the spice of life, isn't it? I promise to post something healthier. It's just that I'm a baking fanatic. And I have 4 willing guinea pigs, eager to "test" the latest. Hey, at least I'm not eating all of it myself!  




    

No comments:

Post a Comment