Monday, November 18, 2013

Fighting Mad!




My friend, Tish, is fighting mad. No, not, at someone, at cancer. She decided she would wear do-rags once she lost her hair from the chemo. Her favorite college football team is University of Tennessee. We searched and searched for a UT do-rag but they don't make them! Go figure, they make everything else with the "T" logo on it. So I got a blue do-rag from her to make a pattern and made one for her myself! I used 1/3 yard of fabric. That's about all you need but I could have used a half yard with this one because of the print on the fabric. I was trying to get the "T" centered on the d-rag and I had to kind-of piece the fabric together to get the "T" centered.
I cut 1 piece 20" long and 4" wide for the front part that wraps around the forehead. Then I cut 2 pieces 10" long and 2" wide for the ties.  On the right is the  "pattern" blue do-rag. 
I sewed the 20"x4" inside out lengthwise to make a tube then turned right side out and pressed so the seam was in the center on the backside. 
This shows the backside of the forehead piece. Mine looks off-center because I was centering the "T". Usually the seam is centered more.
Press the long edges of the 2 10"x2" pieces twice to make a finished edge about 1/8" each time and top-stitch. Then sew to forehead piece  at each end. 
Flip over to outside and top-stitch so it lays right. 
These are the side panels. They are 9 3/4" long and 5" at the widest point. The left side (which is the pointy edge) goes toward the front, the right side toward the back. 
Okay, I know this looks crooked but it's just the way the "T" is printed on the fabric. This is the tail of the do-rag. It goes on the back bottom. I just cut out the piece 4 1/4" on each side and 6" at the widest part. Measuring top to bottom is 7". I folded 1/8" twice and pressed the seam before I top-stitched it.
This is my top piece. I forgot to measure it. In the bottom of this photo is the "front". 
I sewed the front of the top piece to the forehead piece then top-stitched so it would lay right then sewed my side "eye shaped" pieces to all of it. 
This shows where I sewed the tail to the back.
Here are the side "eye-shaped" pieces sewn to the forehead piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment