Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Rose by Any Other Name

My finished baby washcloth bouquet




The far right and far left "flowers" are bibs.

Close-up of washcloth "flowers"
I know what you're thinking, she's fallen off the face of the earth. Lots of stuff going on with the kids, my health, unexpected death of a friend before Christmas, home break-in, blah, blah (I won't go into the details). It's just been chaos. My apologies for not keeping up-to-date here.
I've been plum worn out! My little escape has been Pinterest. Not feeling very creative, I decided to poke around Pinterest to see what other people are up to. Check back next week as I make my "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" review.

I had a baby shower to attend so I looked around. Found some cute ideas. I always modify the ideas on Pinterest. I don't know why. Just think of cuter or tastier or more efficient ways of doing things. Things I've done for years, they are "new" ideas there. Maybe I should've written a book. Anyway, I found an idea to make a bouquet out of baby clothes. Ah shredded paper in green and yellow. You can also cover the butcher paper with a baby blanket or towel but I forgot to buy one.  Notice that I did use 1 floral stem that I kept the flower heads on. I just thought it would add a little fullness. I cut each stem (there were 6) to intersperse in floral foam around the entire bouquet (sorry I didn't make photos of that). You can sort-of tell from pic of final product. It was the only bouquet at the shower! Just something different    to make since everyone is making the diaper cakes now. I made a diaper cake for a shower 8 years ago. Guess I should've gotten photos and started a business before it became popular!
Here is how to make the washcloth flowers: fold 1 washcloth in half, then fold again halfway, leaving open edge.
Start at 1 short end and roll up, making "center" stick out a little like a rose bud does in the center.
Bind one end with a kid-size ponytail holder. This makes your rosebud.
Roll down some of the edges to make your petals. The end with the ponytail holder goes into the floral stem.

No comments:

Post a Comment