Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wrapped Up in Memories

This is my busy season, more-so than Christmas. Graduation! I guess that's my excuse for not posting much lately. I'm good at multitasking but working and writing at the same time...well, it gets complicated. As if my life isn't complicated enough!
So, to explain my title. It has a double meaning. You can get wrapped up thinking about fun times, hard times, friendships and family, and accomplishments. I've always loved scrapbooking, digging out photos and remembering the occasion. I confess I'm photo-crazy. I love taking photos, looking at them, giving them away, and keeping them for my scrapbooks. I've always been that sentimental, collecting ticket stubs, napkins, souvenirs. I started doing scrapbooks while I was still in school, before the huge craze it is now! When a good friend of mine showed me a photo of a t-shirt quilt and asked me to make one for her son I said "why not!". I've never been afraid to sew something I've never made before. I can look at a photo of something and copy it easily.
High school football theme t-shirt quilt

Quilt close-up showing the grey fleece back
High school, vacation, sports memories

College fraternity quilt


So, back to the t-shirt quilt. They're squares of memories you can snuggle under. I make mine with a micro-fleece backing instead of muslin. It's super-soft and warm, comes in tons of colors, and eliminates the need for that bulky batting. This time of year I get a lot of orders for graduation gifts. I just love to see what they pick as favorite t-shirts to put on the quilts. It's something different every quilt and each shirt has a special story, a special meaning. This is something they will always treasure. That's why I love making them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment