Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Make It Work!


Sometimes a challenge is just what I need to prove my mettle! Whether it's fabric or food, I don't believe in backing down from a challenge! I usually go by just a photo to sew something or make my own pattern. Maybe it's my confidence (naivete) or I'm too stubborn to think I could fail. Yes, this is the person who decided to "wing it" when my daughter told her teacher I could make a Greek meal. BTW, I made some mean stuffed grape leaves and baklava (I don't pick a salad to get off easy!) for my first try at Greek food. They loved it!
I think my daughter is a "chip off the old block". She has decided to make an evening gown for her first-ever sewing project! This will be for part of her mid-term art grade (fiber art, I suppose). Go big or go home!
By now you're thinking "what do these photos have to do with Greek food or evening gowns", right?! All challenges.
These are some drapery panels made from a beige linen/burlap textured type fabric with wooden rings sewn at the top. The smaller window is 1 panel, 97" long. The double window has 2 panels about 125" long with all panels having about 20 wooden rings sewn at the top. I was doing a reconstruction job. I added another 1/2 width to each panel to make the curtains fuller, disconnected the lining from the bottom (it's not supposed to be sewn together at the bottom), and sewed the rings (by hand) to the top. They were originally clip-on rings but the curtains were so heavy they would pop off every time the home owner touched them. I hope you can see them ok. The sun was shining in the windows that morning so my photos turned out a little dark. They're beautiful!      

No comments:

Post a Comment